Friday, December 17, 2010

Wild Webcomic Reviews 126-130

Another round of old reviews because I couldn't come up with a Christmas themed post for this week.

February 25, 2007

126. Perchance to Dream - No comic has ever made me want to sit down and rewrite it more than this one. The concept for this comic is absolutely wonderful. The ideas, the characters, everything is about as interesting as you can get, right from the first line on. The execution, while decent, though, doesn't go far enough. I'd like to see more depth, more exploration of the topic, try to get into the character's heads, especially Katherine's. I am so tempted to rewrite it, using the comic as an outline, that it actually hurts. I enjoyed it, but it starts to fall apart during the build up to the ending (though not the ending, oddly enough). Worth the read for this dead comic.

TODAY -  Still occasionally I think about doing a rewrite.  I hold back because I have other projects I want to do, but it's still there.

127. Mixed Myth - Reading comic archives gives you a chance to watch the evolution of the artist as an artist and a writer. Mixed Myth gives me a chance to see a proto version of the artist of Metrophor and is a real treat in that sense. It's also pretty entertaining without being too big on itself. Unlike, say, Wapsi Square, it doesn't let the story's mythology take over, and actually makes fun of it in the process. I got some great giggles out of it, and it does have some interesting takes on characters and plot development (from Cynamatiks to the realtionship between rabbits and elves). It's light hearted fun and it's dead so you can read it at your leisure without missing anything new.

TODAY - The archives are still there and active.  Yeah, I know, you wouldn't think so.  I have fond memories of this comic, but nothing spectacular.  Still miss Metrophor though.

128. Nobody Scores! - 8-Bit Theater is the most consistently funny comic there is. Nobody Scores, however, will remove your internal organs as you're laughing so damn hard. These are not short strips, I should say now, but they are extremely funny as you read through the bulk of them (there are always a few duds). The situations and charcters are just hilarious and tearing up from laughing while reading them is to be expected. Go read it already, it may take a while, but you'll thank me later.

TODAY - It's kind of stalled out.  No, it's still funny, it just doesn't update regularly any more.  I'm not sure why, actually, aside from artistic burn out.  Eventually I may be forced to shuffle it off to hiatus land (unofficial at that) but I'll reread the archives before I do.

March 08, 2007

129. Avalon - Another addition to the dead comic party. Avalon is a high school relationship comic. There, that's about all you really need to know about it, I mean when you've seen one, you've seen them all. And no far out sci-fi/fantasy element to gum up the works. The only downside is that it doesn't end as a comic. Guess the guy just didn't want to do the comic any more and simply posted a summary of how the thing ends. At least he ends it, I appreciate that.

TODAY - I still remember it for giving an ending, even if it wasn't in comic form.  Other comics simply stop (especially the long story ones) but few actually make an effort to give closure.  Thanks for that.

130. A Miracle of Science - Make that two dead comics. This is actually a pretty damn good comic. It's got its share of the angst bug, but the universe is wonderfully detailed and well thought out. It's paced well, even the final climax. That said, I picked out pretty much how it would end while I was still in the second chapter. Predictability isn't a bad thing, and doesn't really hurt this comic at all.

TODAY - Still a pretty damn good strip and I recommend it highly.

Wow, that's a lot of dead comics on that list, and only one that is kind of alive.  Next week I'm taking off, but I'll try to have something for New Years.  Until then kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment