Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween Wild Web Comic Review

*KNOCK*  *KNOCK*

TRICK OR WILD WEBCOMIC REVIEW!

My what scary costumes.  Yes, I've somehow managed to whip up another batch of reviews just before I go out and beat children up and steal their candy.

What's more, I've got 6 reviews!  (5)  No, 6.  (7?)  NO, 6, six reviews.  Now shut up.  The reason for this is that my 200th review is coming up, and the way the numbering works now, it would START that review batch.  Can't have that.  So six reviews it is.  Oh, and if you're curious as to whether I'll actually get 200 before the end of the year, don't count on it.

On top of that, I have 3 older comics and 3 practically brand new comics.  Harder to judge new comics because there's so little to go on, but let's see what comes from them.  Ready?  Too bad.

185.  String Theory - I think at it's core, this is actually a relationship comic rather than a mad science comic, but there's plenty of that there too.  The relationship is awkward as the main character hasn't attempted dating, well, ever, hates human contact and, right from the start of the comic, has a pair of evil looking artificial eyes.  And if you think that's a lot, keep in mind there have been only 38 strips at the time of this review.  Yeah, it's young, but I see potential to be pretty good here.

186.  Hanna is Not a Boy's Name - The first thing that stands out is this comic is colorful and bright.  And for a comic that's basically about the supernatural, that's a nice change of pace.  Oh, and the main character is a zombie that's bored.  Hanna, on the other hand, is his boss.  The comic takes advantage of the "open canvas" of the internet, and breaks traditional panels and framing to make fun and interesting to read comic.  There's also a a decent sense of humor to go along with it.  Not nearly as young as String Theory, but pretty damn close and just as interesting looking, if not more so.

187.  Angels 2200 - Look, a comic that isn't less than 6 months old.  Actually, Angels 2200 has been on my to read list for a long, long time, and like Girl Genius, it stayed on the backburner due to lenght.  And like Girl Genius, I'm glad I read it and will continue to, whenever it gets back from hiatus (if it gets back).  It's good, to be blunt.  There's no mountain of backstory shoved down your throat, the character reactions are reasonable and natural, and the story is very well told.  The downside is some of the action, and being a comic about space fighter pilots there's a bit of it, is sometimes hard to tell what's going on.  Still, even if you don't SEE what's happening, the way the characters react to it will tell you everything you need to know.  In fact, I'd almost say that this comic has some of the best characters I've ever seen in a webcomic, and considering the sheer number of comics I've read, that says something right there.  Downsides I see, aside from it being on hiatus right now, is that it seems to have about two weeks between updates, which might effect the pacing a bit.  When (if) it comes back, we'll see how it works, but I'm betting it won't be nearly as bad as some others.  Regardless, the archive is worth the read, so go to it already.

188.  Eerie Cuties - Eerie Cuties is another young comic done by the same person that does Menage a 3.  Only with color, and less sex.  And demon girls of various types.  It is DIFFERENT, but not that much, and the humor is about the same as Menage, just with less sex.  Basically the comic is the artist's attempt to do something different, and I think it's going well so far with interesting ideas and just the right humor to keep it going.  If anything, it's worth watching to compare it to Menage a 3 and see how two very different comics work when they come from the same person.

189.  Three Panel Soul - This is the successor comic to MacHall, a comic I mentioned remembering very little about in my review reposting.  Which means I really didn't have any expectations going into it.  It's not bad, the jokes are good, the art varies depending on the nature of the humor the comic wants to present and it keeps being entertaining.  Not much really to say here other than it's been around a while and I think I heard about it once a long time ago, but only recently actually read it.  Go figure.  If you liked or remembered MacHall, this is probably a comic you'll enjoy.

190.  Girls with Slingshots - Questionable Content is a comic I reviewed some time ago (it's number 133, so you won't see it for a while), and this comic reminds me of QC, only without the neuroses that seem to dominate QC.  In all, I'd have to say it's better than QC in nearly everyway because it doesn't dwell on the characters being "off."  Yes, a few of them are a bit weird, but they don't harp on it and often break out of it in an effort to grow.  They do grow too, and become different, for better or worse, something I'm fairly certain QC never did.  It's an enjoyable comic and will probably stay on the read pile for a while.

And yes, you read that right, all six of these comics will stay in the read folder, which means I need to find some terrible comics for the next batch or two to balance it out.  Shouldn't be too hard to find, right?  Well, that's all for today, see you next time kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment