Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wild Webcomic Review, 11 - 15

So what's next on our review list?  Let's take a look.

January 2, 2003

11. Anime Moments in History - The complete and total opposite of Megatokyo and Life of Riley, and damn proud of it! This is an angry comic that directly attacks anything and everything, especially anime and the like. It reaches out and drags the absolute worst of the genre, and the fandoms that worship it, out into the open, and proceeds to beat on it. One strip even raised the ire of a number of anime boards, encouraging John (one of the creators) to enter the fray, not to defend it, but to spread racist remarks. These are people who don't care who they piss off or how, they just plain enjoy it. And so do I. (Note: I doubt John is actually racist, he did it only to get a rise out of people. He's an Old Man Murray alum after all.)

August 1, 2003 - Looking for a new artist as the old one is moving. Oh well, it was funny while it lasted, if you like that sort of humor.

October 11, 2006 - This comic was dead for a long time, until John decided to start drawing it himself. Now, it's, well, it's awful. The early stuff is still pretty good, but don't even bother reading it regularly.

TODAY - I actively seek out this kind of comic, and don't find it very often, sadly.  There is a quasi-spin off, but seriously, if you don't like this comic, you really won't like Troll Police.  Hell, even I don't read that.

12. Exploitation Now! - Remember how I said there were three categories? This one straddles all three at once. It's designed to be funny, and insulting, while the undercurrent of a greater story is bubbling up from underneath (which makes sense if you think about it actually). As the comic goes on, the initial supremely funny aspects fade away leading to the more dramatic (so much of a fade that the main characters virtually disappear from the strip). Even Poe (the artist) recognized this, and it probably led to his decision to end the strip, for the best I think. Still a great comic to read (my favorite being the graffiti one).

TODAY - Another one of those comics I really should go back and re-read some time.  It's a classic, you should read it.

13. Errant Story - Poe's newest work. It's still pretty early, but it's shaping up to be very recognizable to those who read through Exploitation Now. It's got the same types of humor, with the more dramatic pits still there in force. It'll be quite a ride when it finally gets going, though. I'm almost sure of it.

February 21, 2003 - Well, it's finally starting to hit its stride, so I figure I'll reevaluate the strip. Still pretty good. A little long and drawn out, but still good. Poe's humor still shines through, making it a joy to read, but its slow in developing. Really, really slow. I think it's finally starting to pick up speed though. Still worth a read.

August 1, 2003 - One of the greatest comics on the web. Read it or weep.

October 11, 2006 - Are you still not reading this comic? Are you sick? Are you crazy? Dear god, it is the best and if you aren't reading, you have issues. GO ALREADY!

TODAY - Speaking of classics, Errant Story is a living one.  It is also the only comic, out of the 190 or so I've read, that I actually gave money to.  I got a pin, which was awesome.

January 4, 2003

14. Machall - Had I stumbled across this comic several years ago (before it existed, I might add), I would have loved it. Back then, you see, I lived in a dorm very like this one. In fact, some of the same characters were there, something I find quite disturbing. Yet, despite the similarities, it just didn't impress me. I think it's because all the humor was built around the dorm and the people there, and I outgrew that long ago. If you live in a dorm, you'll love it. Otherwise, skip it.

October 11, 2006 - Still haven't read it since this review was written, aside from a few sporadic links.

TODAY - I remember so little of this comic, I almost forgot I read it.  Not much of an impression, eh?

15. Sea of Insanity - Perhaps its because I lived in Greece for several years, and as part of my childhood education, got a crash course on Greek mythology, but I love this comic. Gods, demigods, nymphs and the lot running around causing the leading male headaches just appeals to me. And having immortals dropping by, man does that suck let me tell you. Anyways, the art is the most realistic of the batch, which makes it look kind of flat at times. Beyond that, there's a long term story going on, though most of the details haven't been given away, yet. Though two years old, it hardly feels like it's begun at all. I can't wait for the story to really hit.

August 1, 2003 - The Gods bless this strip with an interesting tale, but curse it with an author who issues run the gambit from swollen wrists to siblings crashing cars. It's a miracle he can put out two comics a week, I swear.

October 11, 2006 - Last September was when it updated last, which was nice as it was kind of a birthday present for me. Hasn't updated since. It makes me sad.

TODAY - And then it started updating again, some 2 years later.  Remember that bad luck?  It got worse, but he came back and is updating at a more or less constant rate.  I am happy once again.

Sea of Insanity and Errant Story remain on my read list, while the others are all dead.  No matter, more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment