Friday, March 15, 2013

Wild Webcomic Review 170 - 174

Well, this is it.  I've been reposting my reviews since I started this blog over 3 years ago, and this is the last repost.  Considering I've added another 60 comics on top of this in those 3 years, I feel almost like I've been slacking.  Because I have.  Still, I've done a lot more things that I always wanted to do, and I'm planning to do more.  With that said, enjoy the last old review.  I'll have to think of something to add my current thoughts to the new review batches, but that will come later.

June 01, 2009

170. Sandra and Woo - This comic reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes. Not so much in art style like Sinfest, but more in tone and the way it flows. Don't expect it to be Calvin and Hobbes, it isn't, but it is its own thing, and it works pretty well. It's young (only about 8 months old), but I think it could easily become memorable.

TODAY - Still a pretty solid comic.  Is it memorable?  Probably not, but good nonetheless.  Worth reading and I've kept it on my read list for a while now, and probably well into the future.

171. Sister Claire - This is a silly comic. Mostly in concept, but in execution as well. It's fun and I imagine anyone who grew up around nuns (not me, BTW) will probably find this much more entertaining than the rest of us. Hard to say much else, but I think it's worth a look in most cases.

TODAY - I'm still not sure what to make of this comic.  It's not what I initial thought it was, a kind of parody nuns and such, because now there is magic, half cat people, witches, statues that are fighting robots and a Nun Fu.  This comic got odd really quickly and kept being odd.  I want to see where this is going though, and I keep reading.

172. The Best Band in the Universe - Here's another reminder comic, this time of Scooby Doo or something like that. The space van looks like it. But there is an issue: All the characters in the band are male. Go ahead and read it and you'll see why this is an issue. Once that gets out of the way, it's not too bad, if not updated recently (March was the last one). I think that's kind of a shame, with a title like that, it could be pretty memorable.

TODAY - Dead and gone.  I hate when that happens.

173. The Meek - The main character is naked. And is female. I know, I should have saved that for the end, but at least those of you who left are reading the comic, and you should. The art is great, the story, though still young, seems well written and I'll be following it for as long as possible. And since she's naked, so will you.

TODAY - Hey, that naked girl?  She's wearing pants.  Just pants.  And the comic has been on and off hiatus rather randomly, mostly because the artist is doing pay jobs and making money and living.  Good for him!  He deserves it, but I'd really rather he come back into this story.  It got pretty dark at a few moments, with a several great characters, but the stalling out due to pay work has made me sad.  Come back soon not so naked girl.

174. Zap! - Comics change over time, some for the better, some for the worse. If you come in at the wrong point, you can easily be turned off on even the best comics. For the first 250 or so strips, Zap isn't a great comic. It's not terrible, there's just nothing of interest there. Then, with a somewhat climactic fight scene, the comic dynamic changes and it shifts from being merely ordinary to something really good. If I had reviewed it before that point, I would never have gone back (well, probably never). As it stands, it will slip into my schedule, a comic that finally found its tone and style, after 250 some strips.

TODAY - I dropped it from the schedule within a year.  Mostly it was a pacing thing.  One page a week is a pacing wrecker, and it became easy to lose my place there.  The comic was better then when it started, but it was so slow, it wasn't worth following any more.  Just a brief look at the most recent page shows the art is still quite good and I think the story must be moving along nicely.  I may have to revive my re-review project and give it another shot.

And that's it.  It's now been over 10 years since I started reading and review webcomics in a sporadic fashion.  The first 7 years have now been reposted on this blog that took the last 3 and more into the future.  Hopefully I'll actually do some more reviews.  Until then kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment