Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wild Webcomic Review, 41 - 45

This was supposed to be up yesterday, but I forgot to hit "PUBLISH."  Whoops.

Another batch of past updates.  I go through these links to make sure the comics are still there, and today I am faced with a sad fate, one of them is gone.  Oh, the artist is still on, but his comic is MIA.  I am depressed by this.  I will still provide the available link, and you too can bitch and moan at him to put the comic back up.  Anyway, off we go.

November 2, 2005

41. Rugg - The main character of this comic is a headless chicken. Anything else I could say about this would be for naught, because that sentence describes everything you really need to know about it. The only problem is that it hasn't been updated in 13 months. (EDIT = It was nine when I wrote this thing. I miss this comic) This is a complete shame because it truly is one of the funniest comics I've read in a while.

October 11, 2006 - Yeah, this comic is very, very dead. Dead as a doornail. So dead it actually hurts to look at it to see if it updated.

TODAY - Still dead.  Shame, damn, damn shame.

42. Elsie Hooper - This really isn't a comic at all, it's a storyboard for a film that took on attributes of a real comic. It's dark, gritty, violent (excessively at times) with a dash of occasional humor thrown into the mix. It's a horror comic at its core, with a pretty decent story, if a touch slow moving (the artist is much more concerned about film aspect than the comic one). The art is unlike anything I've ever seen, and it has some fairly realistic characters and situations. Very good. (EDIT = The artist is actually pretty close to actually making this into a movie.)

October 11, 2006 - Yes, the movie thing is about as real as it can get, I think. He's damn determined to see the comic finished too, so go read it already and give him your support.

TODAY - So determined to get it done that he went out and made figurines of the characters, but not more strips.  The updates on this thing have slowed to a painful, almost unmoving crawl.  I keep hoping it gets back to regular updates, but I don't think it will.

43. The Pain: When Will It End? - This comic isn't for everybody, specifically not for any Republicans, conservatives, fundies and their like. This guy is as liberal as they come, and his "humorous insights" will be completely lost on anyone who isn't at least moderate in their views of the world. And yet, the guy is very, very funny, especially when he isn't attacking Bush and company. In any case, any man who has the balls to publish this, even a year later, deserves to be read, even if you're just going to write him an angry letter.

October 11, 2006 - Still the same, only more bitter. I think he wants to get away from the bitter stuff, not that I think he can.

TODAY - He found a way to get away from the bitter stuff:  Stop drawing the comic.  Okay, it's not officially dead, and he continues to claim he wants to get back too it, but without being paid to do it he finds it hard to find the time (this comic was published on paper apparently).  I think it will come back, but not right away.

44. Road Waffles - It's not one comic, it's three, with the third one just starting. (EDIT = A lot further along now, in a kind of hiatus mode at the moment though) Honestly, the first comic is great right up until he starts with the drama crap, the second one is kind of surreal with a slight Hunter S. Thompson (R.I.P.) vibe going on, and the third bulldozes the fourth wall (division between characters and reader) with high explosives. Something for everyone I guess. It is an interesting comic, with the real funny stuff in the first part, and if they had stuck with that it probably would rule. The second part is much more involved than the first, harder to follow, but with a similar sense of humor. Oh, and the whole thing is needlessly violent (there's an eyeball eating scene, for example), which actually is a positive. Have to hang on for the third part, as it's just started after all. (EDIT = Actually, the third part is pretty interesting if not outright weird. I enjoy it greatly.)

October 11, 2006 - Another hiatus. And yet, I still check it every day, hoping it will update. I do a lot of that.

TODAY - Meet our missing comic.  It WAS there the last time I checked, which was sometime last year, but it's not there now.  I want the comic archive you ass!  I don't give two shits about your movie reviews or your personal philosophy crap, give me the damn comic!  You hear me?

May 4, 2006

45. Achewood - This is one of the few comics I didn't immediately start reading from the beginning. This is because I was too busy enjoying the storyline called "The Great Outdoor Fight." When I finally got to reading the whole thing, it's pretty damn fun. It seems to enjoy playing with the unexpected, yet makes it seem completely normal. Do I make sense? Do I have to? The man owns Airwolf for pete's sake! Anyway, once this comic hits its stride (which takes a bit) it is thoroughly engrossing. And if you really want to have fun, go read The Great Outdoor Fight wiki. You won't be able to stop.

October 11, 2006 - Still a weird experience. Shame the GOF wiki stalled out, but the comic is still going strong, even when it's completely weird.

TODAY - The GOF is probably the highpoint of Achewood because, well, it's not nearly as good as it was during that story.  Oh, it's not bad by any stretch, but the updates are far more sporadic than they were (much of it is apparently pay only now) and the jokes lack a bit of the punch (heh) they had back during GOF.  I still read it, of course, but I'm not as enraptured by it.  Incidentally, the GOF wiki updated with the results of the last two years worth of GOFs.  I love that.

One dead, one missing, two hovering near Death By Hiatus and one updating, but only just.  I really am upset about Road Waffles, though.  I wanted to read it again.

DAMN YOU EIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment